09 May 8 Tips for Optimizing Videos
8 Tips for Optimizing Videos
If done correctly, adding a video to your website can help your business. Some industry experts predict that all websites in the future will be video websites because people prefer to watch a video over reading text. Having a well done video on your site can increase your website traffic, build trust with potential customers, set you apart from the competition, enhance the user experience, boost conversions, help with company branding, provide a 24/7 sales team, and increase time spent on your site.
The research I have seen backs up these benefits:
- Video increases the likelihood of a front-page Google search result by 53 times with proper page optimization. (Forrester, January 2010)
- Visitors who view online product videos are 95% more likely to buy than visitors who do not view the videos. (Internet Retailer, April 2010)
- A minute of video is worth 1.8 million words according to Dr. James McQuivey of Forrester Research. (Forrester, January 2009)
So how can you optimize your online videos? The agencies and search engines I’ve talked to offer a number of different tips:
- Use more “How-to” videos as opposed to features and benefits videos, if possible
- Use keywords as part of your video filenames and titles, descriptions, and tags
- Embed your videos on your website into relevant pages on the site using embedded text
- Host your videos on YouTube as Videos hosted on Youtube have a pre-established page rank and authority
- Post links to your video on facebook, twitter, and linkedin
- Request in the video that people visit and “like” your business page
- Create a video library on your website, so search engines know where to find your video content.
- Keep the video to 90 seconds in duration or less as the attention span online is short
One final word of caution on adding videos. Especially if you make videos yourself-I suggest you ask colleagues, friends, and family members give you feedback on your video before bringing it live. Something you might think is good-may not be and can end up hurting your reputation. However, if done correctly and using the optimization tips in this article you will be well on your way to having a website that is positioned to rank well, convey your company story and help you grow your business.